Strudel is a great pastry because it can be enjoyed for both breakfast or dessert. This version is the perfect conbination of apples, walnuts, and port wine, three flavors that work in perfect harmony with the flaky butter crust to ensure every bite is perfect. For breakfast, a simple cup of coffee is a great accent while if you want to enjoy it for dessert top it with some ice cream or a spoonful of airy whipped cream.
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1 tablespoon port wine
- 5 apples (medium)
- 1/2 lemon juice
- 1/2 cup nuts
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 sheet puff pastry (rectangular)
- 1 tablespoon demerara sugar
- 1 egg yolks
- Put the raisins in a bowl, and add the Port wine so that they hydrate a bit.
- Peel the apples. Cut them into 2 millimeter thick pieces, and place in a bowl with water and lemon juice, so that they don't oxidize.
- Preheat to 225 degrees Celsius.
- Drain the apples, and place them in a bowl.
- Add the nuts, raisins, brown sugar, cornstarch, and cinnamon. Stir to coat the apples.
- Roll out the puff pastry.
- Place the filling in the middle of the pastry lengthwise. Fold the sides to cover the filling, and then fold the ends. Place on the baking tray with the folded side facing down.
- Mix the demerara sugar with the egg yolk, and brush the surface of the strudel.
- Make some cuts on the surface so that the steam formed during baking can be released.
- Bake for 20 minutes, or until the pastry is flaky and golden.
PER SERVING *
|Calories670Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat310|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.