- 4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon dried yeast
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups milk
- 6 tablespoons butter (melted)
- 2 teaspoons custard powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee powder
- 1 green apple (peeled, cored, finely chopped)
- 1 1/4 cups pecans (coarsely chopped)
- 1 large egg (lightly beaten)
- 1 1/3 cups powdered sugar
- Combine flour, yeast, 2 tsp sugar and salt in a large bowl. Make a well in the center. Add 1 cup of milk and butter and, using a flat-bladed knife, cut liquid into dry ingredients until dough starts to come together.
- Use your hands to form dough into a ball, then turn out onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 8-10 mins, until dough is smooth and elastic.
- Place dough in a clean, lightly greased large bowl and cover with a damp tea towel. Set aside in a warm, draught-free place to proof for 45 minutes, until doubled in size.
- Meanwhile, combine custard powder and 1 tbsp sugar in a small saucepan. Add enough milk to make a smooth paste. Heat on medium while gradually whisking in remaining 1 cup of milk and coffee powder. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook, whisking occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until thick. Remove from heat. Cover surface with parchment paper and set aside to cool.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and line base of an 8 inch spring form pan. Punch down center of dough with your fist. Turn onto a lightly floured surface and knead for 2 minutes, until returned to its original size. Roll dough out to a 16 x 12 inch rectangle. Spread coffee custard over dough, leaving a 1/2 inch border. Top with apple and pecans. Starting from long side closest to you, roll dough up to form a log. Trim ends and slice into 6 equal slices.
- Place slices, cut-side down, over base of prepared pan. Brush with egg. Bake for 30-35 minutes, until golden brown. Stand in pan for 5 mins then transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make icing, dissolve extra coffee in 1 teaspoon hot water. Combine with powdered sugar and 2 tbsp milk in a small bowl until smooth. Drizzle over rolls. Allow to set. Serve.
|Calories820Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat330|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.