- 2 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup ground almonds
- 1 cup butter (cold, chopped)
- 1 egg (lightly beaten)
- 4 Granny Smith apples (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 4 pears (peeled, cored and thinly sliced)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 lemon peel (finely grated)
- 1 egg white (lightly beaten)
- For the pastry crust, sift flour into a large bowl. Stir in sugar and almonds. Rub in butter using fingertips until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Add egg and enough water (about 2 tbsp) to form a firm, pliable dough. Knead lightly. Form into a ball. Wrap in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 mins.
- For the filling, place apples, pears, 1/2 cup water, 1/4 cup sugar, cinnamon and lemon peel in a large saucepan on medium-high heat. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 4-5 mins until almost tender. Drain excess liquid. Cool.
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Lightly grease a 10-inch pie plate.
- Roll out two-thirds of the pastry between 2 sheets of parchment paper to 1/8-inch thickness. Transfer to pie plate. Refrigerate for 15 mins. Trim edges. Prick bottom with a fork. Place pie plate on a baking pan. Bake for 10 mins. Cool. Spoon filling into pie crust..
- Roll out remaining pastry until large enough to cover pie. Brush pie edges with egg white. Cover with pastry, trimming edge.
- Brush top with egg white and sprinkle with 2 tsp sugar. Cut slits in pastry to allow steam to escape. Bake for 10 mins.
- Reduce oven temperature to 325°F. Bake for 20 mins until golden. Serve warm with ice cream, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat240|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.