Apples and coconut cdertainly aren't the most obvious combination to use in dessert baking, but if this cake is any indication, they should be paired together much more often. They both contribute much flavor and texture as well as moistness, the latter of which is also imparted by the oil and eggs (a half dozen) in the batter. Serve it in the fall when peak of season apples are in abundance.
- 800 grams flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup oil
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup grated coconut
- 600 grams pippin apples
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- In a bowl, mix flour, sugar, oil, eggs, milk and coconut.
- Add peeled and diced apples.
- Beat well.
- Pour batter into a greased rectangular baking pan and sprinkle with flour.
- Bake in preheated oven for 45-50 minutes.
- Cake is done when toothpick inserted into middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and sprinkle with grated coconut.