This loaf cake is just right for keeping on the kitchen counter so a slice is always within reach, say with your afternoon cup of tea or a midmorning pick me up. It's also great for a weekend brunch offering. Plain yogurt makes cakes that are nice and tender (similar to buttermilk), as does the oil that's used in place of butter. Grated apples impart flavor, moistness and contrasting texture in every bite.
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 plain yogurt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 red apples
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Mix flour with baking powder.
- Whisk eggs and sugar until creamy.
- Add yogurt and continue to stir.
- Add oil and mix well.
- Add flour and baking powder.
- Mix well.
- Peel apples, cut in quarters, core and coarsely grate. Sprinkle grated apples with lemon juice so they don't brown.
- Fold grated apples into batter.
- Grease a loaf pan with butter and sprinkle with flour.
- Pour the batter in prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean.