- 12 bratwurst
- 32 ounces sauerkraut (rinsed and well drained)
- 1 cup applesauce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 onion (sliced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 apple (large, cored and cubed)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- salt (to taste)
- black pepper (to taste)
- In a large saucepan, simmer sauerkraut with applesauce and apple juice for 20 minutes.
- In a large deep skillet, heat butter over medium heat; add onions and sauté, stirring frequently, until very soft, about 10 minutes. Add brown sugar, and cook for 5 more minutes. The onions should be caramelized. Add apple pieces and sauté for 5 more minutes until apples are just tender. Add to sauerkraut along with cinnamon, salt and pepper. Keep warm until ready to serve.
- Prepare a medium-hot fire in grill. Grill bratwurst directly over fire, turning, until evenly browned, about 5-7 minutes, or until internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F.
- Remove bratwurst from grill and serve with sauerkraut.