Apple StrudelMadeleine Cocina
Apple picking in the fall is the perfect activity, but then you get home and wonder about what you are going to do with all those apples. This recipe is just what you need. This apple strudel is the perfect recipe to use them up. A delicate dough envelops apples, walnuts rum soaked raisins. This dessert is perfect served with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or a dallop of whipped cream.
- 1 1/3 cups flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 7 tablespoons water
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons raisins
- 2 tablespoons rum
- 80 grams sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 cup butter (melted)
- 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup walnuts (chopped)
- 900 grams granny smith apples (peeled, cored, and cut into 2-mm. slices)
- 1Using an electric mixer, mix the flour and salt. Separately, mix the water, oil, and vinegar. Add these to the flour mixture and beat using the hook attachment on low speed. Add more water if the mixture is dry. Beat until the dough is soft.
- 2Keep kneading by hand for 2 minutes, beating on the kneading surface occasionally.
- 3Place into a bowl, add oil on the surface, and cover with plastic wrap. Let it rest for at least 30 minutes.
- 4Mix the raisins and rum, then set aside. Separately, mix the sugar and cinnamon. Melt 3 tablespoons butter in a large saucepan and add the breadcrumbs, then cook until golden brown and crispy. Let them cool completely.
- 5Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
- 6On a clean surface, place a large cotton cloth, cover it with flour, and add the dough on top. Stretch it with a rolling pin, lifting one edge while stretching to make it thinner.
- 7When the dough is too long to hold in your hands, place it on the fabric and stretch the borders little by little until the dough measures about 60 by 90 centimeters. If there are holes, they will be covered once the strudel is rolled.
- 8Spread the melted butter over the dough to keep it from cracking and breaking. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs on top. In one of the wide edges, add walnuts confined to a strip on the side.
- 9Mix the apples with the raisins and add the sugar at the end. Place this mixture over the walnuts.
- 10Using the cloth, roll the strudel. Place in a baking tray lined with parchment or a silpat and brush with the rest of the melted butter.
- 11Bake for 40 minutes until golden brown.
- 12Let it cool for 30 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
PER SERVING *
|Calories860Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat380|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.