- 1 cup butter (or margarine)
- 3/4 cup sugar (+ 1/3 cup)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 7 ounces rice pudding
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 vanilla bean (cut lengthwise, seeds scraped out)
- 2 1/4 pounds baking apples (peeled, cored and sliced)
- 1 lemon (juiced)
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch (mixed with 1 tbsp water to make a slurry)
- 1/4 cup vanilla liqueur
- pistachios (chopped, for garnish)
- whipped cream (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease and flour a 9 1/2 inch springform cake pan. Cream the butter and 3/4 cup sugar with the vanilla extract and a pinch of salt. Mix in the eggs, 1 at a time, then add the rice pudding. Fold in the flour and baking powder. Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40 mins.
- Meanwhile, caramelize 1/3 cup sugar in a saucepan. Add the vanilla bean, scrapings and apple slices. Deglaze with lemon juice, cover, and simmer for 5 mins. Add the cornstarch slurry, stirring constantly. Simmer for 1 min, remove from the heat, stir in liqueur gently and set aside to cool.
- When the cake is finished, remove from the oven and leave in the pan for 30 mins to cool. Remove the vanilla bean from the apple mix and spread the apples over the cake. Allow cake to cool for 4 hours. Sprinkle with chopped pistachios and serve with whipped cream.
|Calories400Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat180|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.