- 4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 cup light brown sugar (firmly packed)
- 1 pound Granny Smith apples
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 3/4 ounces pectin
- Wash 5 or 6 half-pint jars and fill with hot water until needed. Prepare lids as manufacturer directs
- Measure sugars into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Peel, core and finely chop enough apples to measure 2 cups. Place in large saucepan with water, lemon juice, cinnamon and nutmeg. Stir in pectin.
- Place pan over high heat and stir until it comes to a full boil. Boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat and immediately stir in sugars.
- Return to full rolling boil and boil hard for 1 minute more, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Skim foam from surface and stir jam for about 5 minutes to prevent fruit from floating.
- Ladle hot jam into 1 hot jar at a time, leaving 1/4-inch head space. Wipe jar rim with a clean, damp cloth. Attach lid. Fill and close remaining jars.