- 1 box pie crust (ready-made, or homemade for a double crust pie)
- 4 pounds apples (green-skinned, peeled, cored, cut into wedges)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 large egg white (lightly whisked)
- heavy cream (to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Combine apples, 1 cup sugar, juice and cinnamon in a large saucepan over moderately high heat; cook and stir for 8 minutes or until apples are just tender.
- Combine cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water in a bowl. Add to apple mixture; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until mixture thickens slightly. Remove from heat. Cool completely.
- Roll out half the pastry (one sheet) between two sheets of parchment to a 12-inch disc. Line an 8-inch diameter, 2-inch deep pie plate with pastry; trim edges. Chill for 15 minutes.
- Line pastry with parchment. Cover base with dried beans, rice or pie weights. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove weights and paper. Bake for 5 minutes more or until just colored. Spoon apple mixture into pastry shell. Roll out remaining pastry between two sheets of baking paper to a 12-inch disc. Brush edge with some egg white. Place pastry, egg white-side down, over apple mixture; trim. Tamp edges with the tines of a fork to seal. Cut a small cross in top of pastry. Brush with remaining egg white. Sprinkle with 1 tbsp sugar. Bake for 30 minutes or until golden. Serve with cream, if desired.
PER SERVING *
|Calories240Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat10|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
IVY K. 7 Dec 2015
It is a simple, no hassle and traditional recipe. Needs no modification whatsoever even a child could make one.......delish.