- crumble topping
- 3 1/2 tablespoons butter (chilled)
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup chopped nuts (mixed)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup flour (sifted)
- 14 tablespoons butter (chilled, chopped)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 4 apples (peeled, cored and stewed)
- whipped cream (or ice cream, to serve)
- Preheat oven to 400°F. For the pastry, combine flour and butter in a large bowl. Rub in well using fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, then add enough water to bring the dough together. Knead into a ball, wrap in cling wrap and chill 20 mins. Roll out between 2 sheets of parchment paper until 1 inch thick. Ease into a 10 inch pie pan. Trim the excess pastry and chill 10 mins.
- Place pan on a baking sheet. Line pastry with parchment paper and fill with dry beans. Bake 10 mins, then remove paper and beans and bake 5 more mins. Cool on a wire rack. Reduce oven temperature to 350°F.
- To make the crumble topping, rub the butter and flour together with your fingers until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the spices, oats, nuts and sugar. Add 3 tbsp cold water and mix gently.
- To assemble, fill pastry with the stewed apples, leaving a bit of space at the top Spoon on the crumble topping, then place the dish on a baking sheet and bake 30 mins, or until the crumble is browned. Serve warm or hot with whipped cream or ice cream, if using.
PER SERVING *
|Calories460Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat270|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.