Apple Cinnamon and Cardamom JamO Meu Tempero
It's a wonder cardamom is not better appreciated as an ingredient for baking, along with other warming spices -- especially cinnamon, with which it is most often paired, including in this flavorful apple jam. It's sold in pods and also ground, but the pods will have the most pronounced flavor, and that's what is called for (they end up being ground in case you want to skip that step and just go with the powdered variety).
- 500 grams apples (peeled and diced)
- 200 grams sugar
- 50 milliliters water
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3 cardamom pods (slightly opened)
- 1Place all ingredients in a small saucepan.
- 2Cook over low heat until apples are soft and translucent, and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- 3Remove the cardamom pods, then mash and stir the jam. Mash as much as desired, depending on how chunky you want the jam.
- 4Let cool slightly.
- 5Pour the jam into sterilized jars, filling to the brim.
- 6Cover the jars and turn them upside down for a few minutes to create a natural vacuum.