Apple slices are layered both inside and also on top of the batter when making this cake, so you get more apple goodness in every slice. Plus, after it has finished baking, and while still hot from the oven, apple compote (or jam) is brushed over the cake for a lovely sheen. Because the batter has beaten egg whites folded into the yolk mixture, it has a wonderful lofty texture.
- 4 apples (thinly sliced)
- 4 eggs (separate the yolks from the whites)
- 150 grams butter
- 250 grams brown sugar
- 250 grams plain flour (sifted)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (sifted)
- apple compote (to taste)
- lemon (Drops)
- Beat butter (room temperature) with sugar until you get a fluffy white mixture. Add the egg yolks one by one and stir well.
- In a separate bowl, beat the egg whites with a few drops of lemon and add to the egg yolk mixture, alternating with the flour and the baking powder.
- After all is well mixed, grease a round cake tin, pour half the batter and place the apple slices in the middle (leave some set aside for the top of the cake).
- Pour in the remaining dough, and distribute the rest of the apple slices on top.
- Bake in the oven at 360°F for 45 minutes or until well done. Perform the toothpick test if unsure.
- Remove from the oven and brush the top of the cake with the apple compote.