The world is rife with recipes for apple cakes, and for good reason: Apples are always available (but never better than when at their peak of season) and come in a variety of tastes and textures, so you can alter the outcome of the cake simply by switching up the type you use. In this recipe, the apples are thinly sliced and left to marinate with sugar, ground cinnamon, and port wine.
- 2 Reinette apples
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- cinnamon (to taste)
- 1 1/2 cups port wine
- 200 grams butter
- 200 grams sugar
- 4 eggs
- 200 grams flour
- Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- Peel apple, core and thinly slice.
- Place apple slices in a bowl with sugar, generous amount of cinnamon, and Port wine.
- Set aside to marinate.
- For the dough, beat butter until creamy.
- Add sugar and eggs, mixing well between each addition.
- Add the flour.
- Pour batter into a greased and floured small rectangular baking pan.
- Drain apples.
- Firmly press apple slices into dough with rounded edge facing up.
- Bake in preheated oven.