For many people, angel food cake is the end all be all of cakes, and it's easy to see where they are coming from. After all, no other cake has near the same ethereal taste and texture as this one, nor the magic of science behind it's lofty appeal. What's more, you can honestly make one whenever the mood strikes, since it calls for only eggs, sugar, lemon, salt, and flour.
- 3 eggs
- 8 yolks
- 250 grams sugar
- 1/2 lemon (zest)
- 125 grams flour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.
- Grease an angel food cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs, yolks, sugar, zest, and a pinch of salt for 30 minutes by hand, or for 10 minutes with an electric mixer, until you get a thick, pale mixture.
- Add the flour and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter in the pan and bake for 30 to 40 minutes until done. Do the toothpick test.