Ancient Sobaos PasiegosEL INVITADO DE INVIERNO
Sobaos is a Spanish delicacy found in particular in the Cantabria region. Make your own version of this Spanish treat at home with this recipe for Sobaos, Cantabrian Cake. Combine the flours, yeast, salt and water the night before you plan on making your Sobaos as the yeast mixture needs to be allowed to ferment overnight. Lightly flavored with lemon and anise liqueur, these cakes are sweet and flavorful. They have a slightly crumbly texture, but are not dry.
- If you use bread dough, prepare the dough by kneading the ingredients. It is left to ferment.
- If you use sourdough, prepare 1 or 2 days in advance a 65% hydration mass starting from your usual mm. Ideally, refresh it a couple of times a day, to soften the acidity. Although there is someone who likes that acidic point, here A piece of bread says that it serves as a buttermilk or a yogurt.
- The other ingredients are added while continuing to knead: the sugar with the lemon zest and the chemical yeast, the egg, the anise and the butter, in this order, until everything is well integrated. A fairly fluid mass should be obtained, which can be poured into the molds.
- The dough is poured into the molds halfway (do not overdo it or they will come off) and they are placed on a tray together to keep the shape better, as they tend to spread (1).
- The sobaos are cooked about 20-25 minutes at 170º with air and heat from below, always in the lower part of the oven. In my oven the last 5 minutes you can also turn on the heat from above, so that they brown well (you know that if your oven does not have air you have to raise the temperature between 15-20º).
|Calories350Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat130|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.