Bring the flavors of old Italia to your table with this recipe for Ancient Roman Pizza. The crust for this pizza is made from a yeasted spelt flour dough, making it a great option for those with wheat sensitivities or allergies. Topped with sesame seeds, crumbled feta, and a drizzle of honey, this Ancient Roman Pizza has the perfect balance of sweet and savory flavors. This pizza has a unique preparation method, so be sure to follow the recipe closely.
- 500 grams spelt flour
- 300 milliliters water
- 15 grams dry active yeast (instant)
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 handful feta cheese (crumbled)
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Mix together the flour, water, yeast, and salt. Knead about 10 minutes until the glutens form. You should be able to pinch off a section of dough and stretch it between your 2 hands without it breaking.
- Make a ball with the dough and transfer it to a greased bowl. Turn the dough in the bowl until all sides are oiled. Cover with plastic wrap and let double in volume.
- Once doubled, turn out onto a lightly floured work surface and form a roll or tube with the dough. Cut into 5 equal parts. This will produce 5 pizza 20 centimeters in diameter. If you like bigger pizzas, cut accordingly but remember, they should be able to fit in your skillet. Any sections you do not plan to use immediately, wrap in plastic wrap and freeze for later.
- Preheat the broiler of your oven.
- Roll out the dough section to about 20 centimeters.
- Place a large skillet on low heat and drizzle on olive oil. Once hot, add the rolled out dough. It will start to inflate. Once the bottom is golden, drizzle olive oil over the top and flip it. Remove from heat once both sides are golden.
- Top the pizza with feta and sesame seeds and transfer to the oven.
- When the feta has softened (it will not melt), remove the pizza from the oven and drizzle on the honey.
PER SERVING *
|Calories90Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat45|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.