American Apple PieKooking
The wonderful part about American Apple Pie is that it is versatile and hearty. It is a wonderful base for any dish and the texture adds so much to a meal. This recipe for American Apple Pie is rich and flavorful. If you are searching for a fish dish that is creamy, packed with nutrients and has a hearty flavor, then try this meal. We hope you and your loved ones enjoy it as much as we do.
- 375 grams flour
- 1 pinch salt
- 180 grams butter (cold)
- ice water (60 cc.)
- 6 apples (3 sour, 3 sweet)
- 100 grams brown sugar
- 20 grams agave nectar
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon peel (grated)
- 1/2 lemon (juiced)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- milk (A little)
- 1For the dough, mix flour, salt and butter (either by hand or using a food processor).
- 2Mix until it looks like wet sand.
- 3Add the ice water, just enough to make it a manageable dough that pulls away from sides of bowl.
- 4Knead a little more on the work surface.
- 5Divide dough in half. Form two balls and crush slightly.
- 6Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for an hour.
- 7For the filling.
- 8Peel and cut the apples into thick slices.
- 9Soak apples in lemon juice to prevent from browning.
- 10Sprinkle apples with spices, brown sugar, a pinch of salt and cornstarch.
- 11Heat butter in a pan and cook for 5 minutes until the apples begin to soften and all the ingredients are well mixed.
- 12Remove from heat and add the agave syrup and set aside.
- 13Preheat the oven to 200°C (approximately 400°F).
- 14Remove half of pastry dough from the refrigerator. Flatten half very fine with the rolling pin.
- 15The dough should be around 3 mm (approximately 1/8 inch) thick.
- 16Cover the inside and walls of the pan with the dough, leaving a little extra dough on the outside.
- 17Fill with apple mixture, flattening with a spoon. Sprinkle with lemon zest.
- 18Take the other half of the pastry dough from the refrigerator, roll it flat with the rolling pin and cover the pie.
- 19Seal the pie by pressing together the edges of the two layers of dough and cutting away the excess.
- 20Shape remaining dough into decorations for top of pie.
- 21Paint the surface with a little milk.
- 22Bake at 200°C (approximately 400°F) for 50-60 minutes or until the surface is golden brown.
- 23Eat warm.
- 24Serving suggestion: serve with vanilla ice cream or custard cream.