These lovely pastries are made with frozen puff pastry dough and blueberry jam, meaning they are more about the assembly than any complicated cooking, though you wouldn't think so by their lovely appearance. In fact, you simply spread the jam over the pastry, sprinkle with almonds, cut into slices, and curl them up on baking sheet, pressing one end of each to help hold the shape. Use any flavor of jam you like in place of the blueberry; apricot jam pairs especially well with almonds.
- 1 puff pastry (rectangular)
- 1 bottle blueberry jam
- 75 grams slivered almonds
- almond flakes (for decoration)
- powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 360°F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Roll out the puff pastry, leaving it in the plastic it came in to prevent sticking.
- Cover with the blueberry jam (or another flavor if preferred).
- Sprinkle the surface with the slivered almonds.
- Roll out the dough like a pie crust.
- Use a sharp knife to cut 1 centimeter slices.
- Place each slice with one side curled up and the other set on the baking sheet.
- Sprinkle each slice with almonds again.
- Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden.
- Remove from oven and place on a grid to cool.
- Once cool, sprinkle with plenty of powdered sugar.