Almond PieO Meu Tempero
This tradtional pie is one of those stealth desserts that seem too simple to be true but then takes hold of your palate after the very first bite. The filling is made by cooking sugar, almonds, and milk until the mixture caramelizes and thickens, and that's it. Pure genious. Be sure to heed the recipe and partially bake the pie crust before adding the filling so it stays crisp on the bottom rather than soggy.
- 300 grams all-purpose flour
- 180 grams sugar
- 1 small eggs
- 150 grams margarine (softened)
- 1 lemon (zest)
- margarine (for greasing pan)
- flour (for dusting)
- 200 grams sliced almonds
- 120 grams sugar
- 120 grams margarine
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1Preheat oven to 180°C (approximately 350°F).
- 2In a bowl, mix flour with sugar.
- 3Make a well in the middle and add egg, softened margarine and lemon zest.
- 4Mix ingredients until dough is smooth. If sticky, add a little more flour.
- 5Sprinkle the work surface with flour. Shape dough into a ball and roll out into a circle.
- 6Grease and flour a pie dish. Wrap dough on the rolling pin, transfer to pie dish and unroll.
- 7Use a knife to trim excess dough from edges. Use a fork to prick small holes in the bottom of the pan.
- 8Bake in preheated oven for about 15-20 minutes. Remove from oven and set aside.
- 9In a small saucepan, heat sugar, almonds and milk over low heat. Stir occasionally until mixture is golden brown and begins to thicken.
- 10Remove from heat and pour mixture into pie dishl.
- 11Return to hot oven and bake at 180°C (approximately 350°F) for about 10 minutes to brown almond topping, to taste.
- 12Let cool and remove from pan.