- 4 sheets rice paper (confectioners')
- 1 3/4 cups almonds
- 2 cups sugar
- 2/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup glucose syrup
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 large egg whites
- Preheat the oven to 200°F. Place the almonds on a tray and keep warm in the oven. Line a 9-inch square cake pan with plastic wrap and cover base with 2 sheets of rice paper.
- Combine the sugar, honey, glucose and water in a saucepan and stir over medium heat to dissolve the sugar. Raise the heat to medium-high and cook for 5-10 mins until the mixture reaches 250°C on a candy thermometer. Meanwhile, begin whisking the egg whites in electric mixer on medium speed.
- Continue cooking the sugar mixture until it reaches 265°F. The egg whites should be firm by this stage; if not, increase the speed. When firm peaks form, pour the hot sugar syrup down the side of the bowl and whisk until smooth and glossy (about 3 mins).
- Stir in the warm almonds, then transfer the mixture to prepared pan. Smooth with a wet off-set spatula, then top with remaining rice paper. Set aside to cool, then refrigerate until firm (3-4 hours). Turn out, cut into small squares with a serrated knife and serve.