- 4 large egg whites (4 egg whites = 123 g, at room temperature)
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar (1/3 cup = 70 g)
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt (1/4 tsp. = 1.5 g)
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract (1/2 tsp. 1 g)
- 2 1/2 cups confectioners sugar (2 1/2 cups = 285 g)
- 1 13/16 super-fine almond flour (13/16 cup = 3/4 cup + 1 Tbsp. = 175 g)
- 1 cup dark chocolate (1 cup = 170 g, 70% cocoa, chopped)
- 3/8 cup heavy whipping cream (3/8 cup = 1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp. = 90 mL)
- 1 pinch flaky sea salt
- cocoa powder (for dusting, optional)
- Position an oven rack at the uppermost position and a second rack at the lowest position of the oven and preheat the oven to 325 ºF/160ºC/gas 3. Line the rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Fit the pastry bag with the pastry tip. Fold the top of the bag back to form a cuff. (This makes it easier to fill the bag.) Push a bit of the fabric of the pastry bag into the tip to “plug” the opening. This prevents the macaron mixture from leaking out. Set the pastry bag in a 2-cup/480-ml measuring cup for easier filling.
- Put the egg whites, sugar, and salt in the bowl of your KitchenAid® stand mixer, fitted with the wire whip. Warm the egg white mixture over a small pan of simmering water, but don’t let the bottom of the mixing bowl touch the water. When the egg whites are just warm to the touch, wipe the bottom of the bowl to dry it, and then place the mixing bowl back on the stand mixer. On medium speed, whisk the egg whites until foamy, about 1 minute. Increase the mixer speed to high, and whip the meringue to form stiff, shiny peaks, about 2 minutes. While the egg whites are whipping, drizzle in the almond extract.
- Turn the mixer off. Attach the KitchenAid® Sifter + Scale Attachment to your mixer. Close the ingredient valve and weigh the Confectioners Sugar. Turn the mixer to medium low, open the ingredient valve and sift in the sugar. Tap the side of the ingredient hopper to hurry along the Confectioners Sugar. It is important not to overmix and deflate the meringue. Turn the mixer off, and remove the mixer bowl.
|Calories90Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
|Calories from Fat25|
|% DAILY VALUE|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.