This delightful cake bears an unusual but classic feature: cooked egg yolks are passed through a sieve and mixed into the simple syrup to form the icing, which is then boiled until nice and thick enough to spread. You'll just have to make it for yourself to see how wonderful this can be, especially when used to decorate a lovely cake that's made with ground almonds and no flour (so it is gluten free) and lots of eggs and sugar.
- 250 grams peeled almonds
- 250 grams sugar
- 3 eggs
- 3 egg yolks
- 50 grams sugar
- eggs (soft)
- 4 egg yolks
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons water
- egg (shredded)
- candied cherries
- sugar pearls
- Whisk the eggs, egg yolks and sugar in a mixer for about 10 minutes.
- Chop the almonds as finely or coarsely as you prefer.
- Add the almonds to the egg and sugar mixture and whisk a bit more. Add the flour, without whisking.
- Grease a cake pan with butter and sprinkle with flour. Preheat oven to 320°F and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Perform a toothpick test in the center of the cake to be sure it's done before removing from the oven.
- Bring the sugar and water to a boil, then let simmer for about 5 minutes. Let it cool slightly.
- Pass the egg yolks through a fine sieve and add the sugar syrup, stirring well. Bring back to a boil to thicken.
- Distribute the soft eggs on top of the cake and decorate with the candied cherries and sugar pearls.