- 8 medium eggs (separated)
- 1 pinch salt
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 3/4 ounces roasted almonds (whole)
- 2 3/4 cups butter
- 2/3 cup powdered sugar
- 3 1/2 ounces sliced almonds (toasted)
- Preheat the oven to 325ºF. Grease and line two 10-inch springform cake pans. Whisk the egg whites with a pinch of salt, the vanilla extract, 1 1/2 cups of sugar and 4 tbsp water. Stir in the egg yolks, flour, ground almonds and baking powder.
- Spoon into the cake pans and level the surface. Bake for 30 mins. Allow to cool in the pan for 10 mins, then remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Gently heat the remaining sugar in a small saucepan with 2 tbsp water, until the sugar has dissolved and caramelized. Stir in the whole almonds. Spread on a parchment-lined baking sheet to cool. Set aside approximately 20 almonds and process the remainder in a food processor.
- Beat 2 1/4 cups of butter with 1/2 cup of powdered sugar until light and creamy. Stir in the processed almonds. Cut each cake in half twice horizontally, forming three layers each. Sandwich the pieces of cake together with the almond buttercream between layers. Chill for 30 mins.
- Beat together the remaining butter and powdered sugar until light and creamy and spread over outside of cake. Decorate the sides with the flaked almonds and the top with the reserved candied almonds.
PER SERVING *
|Calories380Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat280|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.