Almerian Christmas Alfajores (Spanish Wafers with Almond and Lemon Filling)El invitado de invierno
The holiday season has begun and that means hot spiced drinks, holiday cheer, and, of course, lots and lots of cookies. Bring the flavors of a Spanish Christmas to your home this year with this recipe for Almerian Christmas Alfajores, otherwise known as Spanish Wafers with Almond and Lemon Filling. These sweet nutty and citrus filled wafers have a rich holiday flavor that will make them a new Christmas cookie favorite. Allow to set under a weight for a couple days before slicing and serving.
- 225 grams sugar
- 2 lemon
- 225 grams raw almonds (whole)
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- wafer cookies (plain)
- 1Blend the sugar in the blender for 30 seconds, starting at medium speed and increasing to high until it becomes a powder. Add the lemon zest and blend again for 20 seconds, starting at medium speed and increasing to high. Set aside.
- 2Blend the almonds at medium speed, stopping from time to time to push them down toward the blades. Set aside.
- 3Return the sugar mixture to the blender and blend for 20 seconds on medium high speed until a paste begins to form. Add a drizzle of water if necessary. Taste, adding lemon and cinnamon if needed.
- 4Divide the paste into two equal parts. Form into small balls and place on the wafers, flattening with the hand to shape into flat rectangles. The filling should be less than 1 centimeter thick.
- 5Cut any portion of the filling that extends beyond the edge of the wafers and top with another wafer to form a sandwich. Wrap in plastic wrap and set aside, repeating with the rest of the wafers and the filing.
- 6Set aside on a flat surface under a weight for 2 or 3 days.
- 7Remove from plastic wrap and cut into rectangles or triangles.
PER SERVING *
|Calories590Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat260|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.