All Saints Day DoughnutsEl invitado de invierno
Make these delicious doughnuts for the next All Saints Day. Fried and doughy, these All Saints Doughnuts are filled with a light rum flavored pastry cream and coated with powdered sugar. Not particularly low in calories, these fluffy doughnuts are an exceptional treat that warrant a little splurging. Ready in less than an hour, this recipe makes plenty of little doughnuts so you will have more than enough for yourself as well as some to share.
- 170 grams flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 250 grams water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 4 large eggs
- vegetable oil
- powdered sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 750 grams milk
- 150 grams sugar
- 50 grams rum
- 60 grams flour
- 1In a bowl, sift the flour with the baking powder and set aside.
- 2In a pot, heat the water with butter, sugar, and salt until boiling.
- 3Remove the pot from the flame and immediately pour in the flour/baking powder mixture all at once while whisking.
- 4Place the pot back on the flame and continue stirring until a ball forms.
- 5Remove from the flame again and let cool a bit. Then, beat in the eggs one by one stirring well after each. Set aside to cool even more.
- 6In a deep skillet, heat the oil on medium heat.
- 7With 2 teaspoons, measure out portions of the dough about the size of a nut. Do not make them large as they will puff to about 4 times their original size when frying.
- 8Transfer the dough into the oil. It will puff and turn itself over as it fries. When it is golden on all sides, remove from the oil to drain and cool on paper towels.
- 9Separately, make the filling. Make a double boiler making sure the top pot never touches the water of the bottom pot. In the top top pot, add in the eggs, milk, sugar, rum, and flour. Constantly stir everything together until it starts to thicken into pastry cream.
- 10Pour the liquid into a container, cover with plastic wrap directly touching the surface of the cream, and let cool.
- 11When the filling is room temperature, fill a pastry bag with it and attach a fine tip. Pierce the doughnuts with the tip and fill with the pastry cream.
- 12Sprinkle powdered sugar on top and serve.
PER SERVING *
|Calories720Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat220|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.