Bonbons can indeed be savory, it seems, rather than only sweet. These Portuguese style nibbles are savory through and through, thanks to the spicy sausage that's mixed with the cottage cheese to form the balls, and the flavorful mix of poppy seeds,…
sesame seeds, and breadcrumbs to form the coating that they are rolled in. You'll want to serve these hors d'oeuvres with toast points -- and snifters of sherry.
- 1 alheira sausage (Portuguese bread and garlic sausage or similar)
- olive oil
- 1 cottage cheese
- 1/2 lemon (juice)
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1/2 tablespoon breadcrumbs
- Peel the sausage and mash it with a fork.
- Pour a drizzle of olive oil in a frying pan and fry the sausage for 2 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Add the cottage cheese and mash well. If you prefer a more homogeneous mixture, mince it in the chopper or a blender. Mix in a few drops of lemon juice and check the seasoning.
- In a bowl, mix the seeds and breadcrumbs.
- Make small balls and roll them in the seed mixture.
- Place the balls in paper molds.
- Serve with toast.