Alentejo Bread Codfish SoupO Meu Tempero
There's no way that this Portuguese dish is not utterly delicious. Just imagine: Each soup bowl has slices of rustic bread at the bottom, which soaks up the flavorful broth that's served on top, along with sauteed shredded cod and chopped tomatoes, all of which is topped with a poached egg (a runny yolk is essential here). Garnish with fresh cilantro and serve while still hot, not that you'll be able to resist digging right in.
- 4 cod fillets
- 3 Portuguese Alentejo bread (day old, or sourdough bread, sliced)
- 4 eggs
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro
- 4 garlic cloves
- olive oil
- 1Season cod with salt and pepper.
- 2Cook cod in boiling water.
- 3Let cool slightly and shred cod.
- 4Use cooking water to poach eggs.
- 5Heat olive oil in a pan and sauté 2 garlic cloves.
- 6Add shredded cod, stir well and remove from heat.
- 7In a medium bowl, add rock salt, garlic and cilantro leaves and crush well
- 8Add hot water to make stock. Add cod, garlic and chopped tomatoes to the stock.
- 9Place 1-2 slices bread on a soup plate and spoon the stock and cod over bread until soaked.
- 10Add 1 poached egg on top of bread and cod.
- 11Garnish with fresh cilantro leaves and serve immediately.