After Eight PleyelL'Antro dell'Alchimista
Pleyel is a traditional chocolate-almond cake featuring ground nuts. This version is inspired by Nestle's After Eight Mint Chocolate Thins, a flavor profile that is achieved with the addition of mint syrup. To keep the cake light, beaten egg whites are folded into the batter, while powdered and granulated sugars add the the effect, producing a sweet, dense and pleasantly chewy confection. The cake will keep, covered, at room temperature for up to three days.
- 170 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams butter
- 4 eggs (separated)
- 180 grams powdered sugar
- 65 grams almonds (finely ground)
- 20 grams granulated sugar
- 80 grams flour
- 30 grams mint syrup
- 1Preheat the oven to 180C.
- 2Cut the chocolate and the butter into small pieces and melt them together over a double boiler, stirring until completely blended into a cream. Let cool and add the egg yolks, one at a time, while stirring continuously.
- 3Add the powdered sugar and the ground almonds, while stirring, then add the mint syrup.
- 4Beat the egg whites to stiff peaks while gradually adding the granulated sugar.
- 5Add the beaten egg whites to the egg yolk mixture by folding in carefully, alternating spoonfuls of sifted flour. Mix thoroughly.
- 6Pour the batter into a buttered and floured cake pan and bake for approximately 30 minutes.
- 7Remove the cake from the oven and cool. Serve the cake with some mint syrup.
PER SERVING *
|Calories950Calories from Fat510|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat510|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.