- 6 pounds beef brisket (piece corned)
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole peppercorns
- 1 bag coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
- 1/2 red onion (small, diced)
- corned beef (ladle full of the, cooking water)
- Oven at 300 degrees.
- We'll start with the corned beef because it cooks low and slow. Into a large oven proof pot (lid must be oven proof as well), place the piece of meat in, the bay leaf, peppercorns and enough water to cover the meat with a couple inches worth of water overtop.
- Pop the pot on the stovetop with the lid on and bring to a boil. As soon as it comes to a boil place the pot, lid still on, into the oven. Cook for 3 hours. Half way through the cooking time I do go ahead and flip the meat over because it will float up as it cooks, leaving part of the meat slightly above water.
- For the warm cabbage slaw... Into a large pan, over medium heat, add a couple drizzles of olive oil, the onions and coleslaw mix. Toss to combine and allow to cook a few minutes, until the veggies are slightly softened and have a bit of color. Add in a ladle full of the cooking water form the corned beed (watch you don't get the peppercorns) and simmer for a few minutes. The liquid will be absorbed. Season with a little pepper.