This healthier chocolate cake is made with just two tablespoons of flour for a simple and rich dessert. Whisking the egg whites until the form soft peaks before adding them to the cake batter ensures that this cake will be light and airy. Since this cake is served cold, it is a great choice for the hot summer months. Serve it with fresh fruit and a dallop of freshly whipped cream.
- 200 grams semisweet chocolate (chopped)
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup skim milk
- 2 egg yolks (at room temperature)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites (at room temperature)
- Preheat the oven at 180 Celsius and place the oven rack and the bottom part of the oven.
- Prepare a 8- or 9-inch cake pan on a baking sheet. Rub vegetable oil on the cake pan's surfaces.
- Boil some water in a separate pot.
- Place the chocolate and cocoa powder in a separate large bowl.
- In another bowl, mix the 2/3 cup sugar and a pinch of salt. Add milk and mix in order to form a smooth paste.
- Add the remaining milk to the bowl and cook on medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the mixture begins to boil.
- Continue stirring for 2 to 3 minutes and then pour the mixture on the chocolate/cocoa powder mixture. Mix well until the chocolate is completely melted and smooth.
- Allow the chocolate sit for about 10 minutes and then add the egg yolks and vanilla. Mix well.
- Whisk the egg whites using an electric mixer until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add the remaining 1/3 cup of sugar, mix together until the egg whites become slightly firm, but not dry.
- Add 1/4 of the egg whites to the chocolate mix, carefully fold the remaining egg whites into the mixture.
- Place the bowl on the pot with boiling water and place both in the oven. Bake for up to 25 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the oven and cool for 2 hours. Cover it in plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight.
- Remove the cake and allow it come to room temperature, about 1 hour. Serve the cake with peaches, strawberries or kiwi fruit on top.
PER SERVING *
|Calories530Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
|Calories from Fat160|
|% DAILY VALUE*|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your Daily Values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.