This salad is a traditional part of an Italian antipasti platter, complete with cured meats and salami, cheeses, and rustic bread for sampling along with an aperitivo. You can find jarred versions of it at Italian grocers and many supermarkets, but it's much better when prepared with fresh bell peppers, as here. Roast them first under a hot broiler, turning as they blacken, then allow to steam in a plastic bag to allow the skins to separate for easier peeling.
- 1 green pepper
- 1 red pepper
- 1 yellow pepper
- 5 anchovy fillets (canned)
- fresh basil
- olive oil
- Roast the uncut peppers in the oven .
- Once cooked place them inside a plastic bag and close it for a few minutes, so it is easier to peel them.
- Peel the peppers and cut into strips.
- Mix the peppers, chopped anchovies, and basil leaves.
- Season with a good olive oil, and mix.
- It is not necessary to add salt, the anchovies are salted.