5 Dishes You Never Knew You Could Microwave
For all the space your microwave takes up in the kitchen, you should use it for more than steaming veggies and reheating food. Microwaves have a bad reputation in the kitchen because of frozen TV dinners and other unhealthy edibles, but it's good for so much more than that! You can make great gourmet food with a microwave, just as you would with an oven, grill, or any other kitchen tool. Here are a few dishes you might never have expected to be made, homemade, from the microwave!
And here are a few other awesome dishes your microwave is good for!
- Microwave Caramel Popcorn You can make real popcorn (not the kind pre-buttered in the bag) with a microwave! Plus, with a few ingredients like corn syrup and brown sugar, you can make a great caramel coating for it too.
- Crispy Potato Chips Forget bagged potato chips at the store! Just thinly slice some potatoes at home (preferably with a mandolin, since the thinner you cut it, the better!) and microwave it at intervals. Click the link for full directions!
- Frothy Milk Foam for Coffee You don't need a fancy machine to top your coffee with tasty milk foam! All you need is a jar and milk!
- Bread and Butter Pickles You'll need a few nice cucumbers, your typical pickling ingredients, and a microwave safe container, but the end result is perfectly tasty pickles!
- Croutons Want crispy, crunchy croutons to top off your Caesar Salad? No problem! You can do that in a microwave too.
- Cornbread You don't need an oven to bake a delicious batch of cornbread this holiday season. Save your oven space for the bird, and make your cornbread in the microwave.
- Peanut Brittle If you've got a sweet tooth, you can make sweet, crunchy peanut brittle in the microwave too! Just let it cool on a baking sheet and crumble as you normally would.
- Cocoa microwave cake
- Microwave vegetable rice
- Microwave chocolate bars
- Microwave caramel corn
- Microwave potato chips