Are You Getting Enough Vitamin C in Your Diet?
Vitamin C is a vital part of healthful living! It's an important protein used in a huge number of the body's necessary functions, and since the body cannot make or store vitamin C on its own, maintaining a well-balanced diet is essential. Depending on your age and habits, you should be consuming a certain amount of vitamin C every day. Here are a few easy ways to incorporate vitamin-C filled fruits and veggies into your diet, and a general guide as to how much you should be consuming on a daily basis.
How Much Vitamin C Should You Consume?
According to the US National Library of Medicine, these are the amounts that are recommended for consumption every day.
- Infants from the ages of 0-6 months should be getting about 40 milligrams/day (mg/day), and 10 more mg/day once they hit 7 months.
- Kids 1-3 years of age should take about 15 mg/day, 25 mg/day once they hit 4 years old, and 45 mg/day once they're 9.
- Teenage males should be consuming about 75 mg/day, whereas females should be getting at least 65 mg/day.
- Adult males should consume about 90 mg/day, and females should get 75 mg/day at least.
What are the best, most Vitamin C filled foods?
The best way to get Vitamin C into your diet is by consuming it in your food every day. Make good eating decisions and you'll always get the right amount of nutrients you need to be energetic and fit! All fruits and vegetables contain some amount of vitamin C, so as long as you're eating a little every day, you're doing great. However, if you want to get the most Vitamin C out of your food, here are the best fruits and veggies to try (listed in order of highest to lowest vitamin C content)!
- Raw Red and Green Bell Peppers
- Brussels Sprouts
Here are a few Yummly vitamin C packed recipes you can try:
[Linguini with Broccoli and Red Pepper
[Shaved Brussels Sprout and Kale Slaw
- Summer fruit salad
- Strawberry kiwi smoothie
- Tropical salad with papaya
- Roasted brussel sprouts
- Cheesy broccoli casserole