Ice Cream That's Anything but Vanilla
Here is a look at the must try ice cream shops and get-the-flavor recipes you can create at home. Oh, and happy National Ice Cream Day!
1. Humphry Slocombe - With flavors like Boccalone Prosciutto and McEvoy Olive Oil, its no question that this frozen confectionery is innovative. Now before you go thinking that there is just no way an ice cream involving cured meat will tickle your tastebuds, here is a recipe that could change your mind.
2. Bi-Rite Creamery - This ice cream shop is nestled in a neighborhood nicknamed "the gastro" (yes, as in gastronomy). If that isn't enough to convince you of its worthiness to contend with the best of all ice cream makers, let a scoop of Earl Grey or Ricanelas (cinnamon with snickerdoodles) convince you. Better yet, try the ice cream sandwiches. Sugar cookies with balsamic strawberry ice cream? A welcome twist on a conventional classic.
3. Mitchell's Ice Cream - Mitchell's serves up classics and lesser-known tropical flavor classics. Think a double scoop combo of strawberry (classic) side-by-side with a scoop of Ube, a sweet purple yam (tropical classic). These do-it-yourself recipes can contend with Mitchell's Ube or Mexican Chocolate any day.
4. Swensen's - Another classic ice creamery, this shop first opened in San Francisco circa-1948. Though, unique flavors like Strawberry Cheesecake and Rum Raisin were mixing up the ice cream game way back when.
5. Three Twins Ice Cream - Three Twins Ice Cream is organic, not health-nut-boring. That said, this ice cream innovator has probably the most sinfully decadent chocolate ice cream around: The Chocolate Project. This chocolate lover's flavor is equal parts chocolate ice cream, flecks of dark chocolate, cacao nibs, chocolate cookies and chocolate chips. Cookie lovers, there is something for you too - Cookie Jar, three types of cookie in one scoop.
Related Searches on Yummly:
- ice cream crunch
- peanut butter ice cream
- healthy coconut ice cream
- mint ice cream dessert pie
- chocolate chai ice cream
What is the most unique ice cream flavor you've tried? Tell us in the comments!