10 Surprising Super Bowl Food Facts
Super Bowl is only days away, and it’s time to start planning the menu! Take some inspiration from the following game day statistics to either follow the trends or to take the food path less traveled with healthy and gourmet game day snacks.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the second largest day of food consumption behind Thanksgiving.
- 1,200 calories: Amount the average Super Bowl watcher will consume while snacking.
- Football fans are expected to eat an estimated 69.6 million pounds of avocados during this year’s Super Bowl (mostly in guacamole).
- The most popular take-out and delivery items on Super Bowl Sunday are pizza, chicken wings, and sandwiches.
- It is estimated that Americans will eat 90 million pounds of chicken wings, which breaks down to 450 million individual wings!
- An astounding 14,500 tons of chips and 4,000 tons of popcorn are eaten on Super Bowl Sunday.
- Budweiser has been the exclusive Super Bowl beer advertiser for the past 17 years, and will continue to be until at least 2014.
- Super Bowl Sunday is the biggest winter grilling day of the year.
- Approximately 54% of Americans will consume coffee the morning following Super Bowl Sunday.
- According to 7-Eleven stores, there is a 20% increase in the sale of antacids on the day after Super Bowl.