Terrific Twice Baked Potatoes
This recipe is contributed by Victoria Pine. What I love most about this recipe is not only the amazing blend of flavors, but that you can prepare these potatoes hours before dinner and pop them into the fridge. About half an hour before dinner take them out and put them in an oven heated to 350 degrees. Give them time to heat up and get all steamy and delicious, about 30 minutes. There is only one disclaimer: I guarantee wonderful compliments will start flying at you left and right after you serve them!
Twice Baked Potatoes
- 5 large russet potatoes
- 3 cups spinach
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 of an onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 10 strips of bacon
- 1/4 cup fresh, chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Scrub the potatoes well and then cut slits in the top of the potatoes. Bake them in the oven for 1 hour.
- Chop 3 cups of spinach into strips. Sauté the spinach in 1 tablespoon of melted butter. Set aside.
- Chop the onion finely. Saute onion and 2 cloves of minced garlic. Set aside.
- Chop 10 strips of bacon into small pieces and cook until crisp. Set aside for topping.
- Turn the oven down to 350 degrees and remove the potatoes from the oven. Cut them in half lengthwise and scoop out the potato from the skins. Place the skins in a 9x13 pan and put the potato in a large mixing bowl. Add ¾ cup of milk to the potatoes and mash thoroughly. Add the sauteed ingredients and the parsley (not the bacon!) to the potatoes and mix well.
- Fill the potato skins with the mashed potato mixture. Top with bacon and cheddar cheese. Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes. To add an appealing golden brown touch, put the potatoes under the broiler for just a minute!