Homemade Sour Cream in a Snap!
You might be able to cross sour cream off of your shopping list indefinitely with this awesome, crazy easy recipe. There's absolutely no fancy equipment needed (unless you don't have any jars around), and the whole process only requires 2 ingredients! If you like tackling do-it-yourself projects and making things from scratch, you've got to check this out!
- 2 cups light cream (or half and half)
- 2 tbsp buttermilk*
*Note: If you don't have buttermilk, combine 1 cup of milk with 1 tablespoon of lemon juice (or vinegar). Stir, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Voila - homemade buttermilk.
- Heat a glass canning jar in boiling water. Drain the water and set the jar aside.
- Pour your light cream and buttermilk into the jar and firmly screw on the lid. Shake the jar gently to mix.
- Let your mixture stand in at room temperature for 1-2 full days. (The acidity of the buttermilk kills harmful bacteria, so you don't have to worry about that).
- Store it in the fridge until cold and use it as you please! It should last up to 3 weeks.
Related Searches on Yummly:
- Banana sour cream bread
- Sour cream biscuits
- Sour cream cheesecake
- Pound cake with sour cream
- Sour cream and onion
Photo Credits: Fitter than Choc