Who doesn't love confetti cake? There's a good chance you encountered this cake at least once at a birthday party or two growing up. The easy box mix made this cake extremely popular, and it's no wonder why. Just look at it! It's exploding with so much color, it's perfect for any kind of celebration. And now that you're all grown up, you can ditch the box mix and make it yourself from scratch!
- 2 3/4 cups cake flour
- 4 tsps baking powder
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 egg whites
- 1 1/2 cups white sugar
- 3/4 cup butter (or margarine)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 1/3 cup sprinkles *Note: The long, thin sprinkles (jimmies) usually get the best results, but you can use any sprinkles you like! Heck, you can even make your own sprinkles with these easy tutorials from Brave Tart and I am baker.
- Measure flour, baking powder, and salt; sift together three times.
- In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Add 1/2 cup sugar gradually, and continue beating only until the meringue holds soft peaks.
- Cream butter or margarine. Gradually add remaining 1 cup sugar, and beat until light and fluffy. Add your flour mixture alternately with milk in 3 rotations, beating after each addition until smooth. Mix in your vanilla and almond extract.
- Fold the egg white meringue into the mixture until combined. Add your sprinkles, and fold them in gently. Spread batter into a parchment-lined pan or pans.
- Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 25 to 35 minutes (depending on what kind of pans you used). Cool cake in pan 10 minutes, then remove from pan and transfer to a wire rack to finish cooling.
You can frost it with whatever you like! Buttercream frosting is an excellent option for starters, but feel free to experiment.
Photo Credit: Burn Me Not