Awesome Oreo Cookies from Scratch
Whether you dunk them in milk or split them and lick them, there's a good reason why Oreos are often called "America's Favorite Cookie." Now, with this great recipe, you can make these awesome treats from scratch in your own kitchen! These super chocolate-y, crumbly cream-filled cookies are as cute as they are delicious. Wrap them up as gifts for friends and family, or just enjoy them for yourself with a nice tall glass of milk!
"Photo from Cookie-Talk"
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, softened
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 – 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- In a large bowl, cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla, and beat.
- Combine the flour, cocoa, baking powder, and salt in another bowl and whisk to remove lumps. Add the dry mixture to the creamed mixture in small installments and beat slowly until all the dry ingredients are just incorporated.
- Divide dough in half and shape into discs. Wrap it up and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- When the cookie is chilled, preheat the oven to 350°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Take one portion of dough out of the refrigerator at a time (you want it to be chill when you're working with it). Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Roll the dough to 1/8 – 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out the cookies into the desired shape and transfer them to the baking sheet.
- Pop the cookies into the oven and bake for about 12 minutes. Once they're done, transfer them to a wire rack to cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, combine the softened butter, half and half, vanilla, and a pinch of salt and beat until combined. Add the powdered sugar gradually, approximately 1/2 cup at a time, until the filling comes together. It will be somewhat stiff.
- Pipe or spread the filling onto half of the cookies, and top with the remaining cookies!
Enjoy your delicious batch of freshly made chocolate sandwich cookies!
For more Oreo cookie goodness, check out "10 Delicious New Ways to Eat Oreos!"
Related Searches on Yummly: