Savory Pies to Warm You up This Season
Digging into a savory chicken pot pie still piping hot from the oven is a treat for all the senses. You've got that beautiful, golden pastry crust lightly puffing with fragrant steam, just brimming with the succulent combination of chicken, colorful veggies, and bubbly gravy... It even smells like cozy, warm nights at home. This simple, classic chicken pot pie recipe is definitely a keeper. Find out why for yourself!
1 lb boneless, skinless chicken
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 1/2 cups milk
3 tbsps butter
1 medium onion, diced
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup of frozen peas (and any other veggies as desired)
1 tbsp fresh parsley (or 1 tsp dried)
1 sprig of fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
2 unbaked pie crusts
- Cut chicken into 1/2 inch pieces. In a large pan over medium high heat, combine the chicken, broth, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to low. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes, or until chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken and pour the remaining chicken broth into a measuring cup. Add enough milk to the broth mixture to equal 2 1/2 cups.
- In the same pan, melt butter over medium heat. Add the onion and saute for 3 minutes. Stir in flour until well blended. Slowly add in broth mixture and stir constantly until the sauce thickens and boils. Add the chicken, vegetables, parsley and thyme. Pour mixture into bottom unbaked pie crust.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C).
- Cover your pie with top crust and cut slits in the pastry for venting air. Roll edges and cut away extra pastry; flute edges by pinching together. Re-roll scraps to cut into decorative designs. Place on top of pastry. Brush pastry with beaten egg and bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes or until the crust is golden brown and the filling is bubbling!
For more deliciously savory pies, check out these Yummly recipes!
Related Searches on Yummly: