The Perfect Honey Baked Ham
Instead of picking up your honey baked ham from the store, try making your own delicious, mouth-watering holiday ham instead! This sweet and lightly spicy bone-in ham is perfect for the holidays and incredibly simple to make too. You can use a pre-cooked ham if you want, or a spiral-cut if the mood takes you, you just have to adjust the cooking times a little accordingly.
"Photo by Corn Pig's Kitchen"
- 6 lbs ham
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/3 cup honey
- 2 tsps cornstarch
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place ham on a rack in a foil lined roasting pan. Bake the rounded side up for one hour.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, mix all ingredients together. Stir until it forms a nice thick glaze.
- Rub on half of the glaze and bake for 30 minutes more. Flip the ham over and rub on remaining glaze and bake for 1 hour more.
- Remove from oven and allow the ham to rest for at least 30 minutes before serving!
Tips and Tricks
- If you're using a pre-cooked ham, follow the listed cooking instructions and times! For pre-baked, you should expect to decrease the cooking time by 30 minutes at least.
- For uncooked bone-in hams, you may get better results puncturing the outside of the ham with a fork before glazing so that the glaze permeates more of the meat.
- Spice-lovers might be disappointed by the relatively small amount of punch the marinade packs. Increase the spice to your liking!
Photo Credits: Corn Pig's Kitchen