Crispy Golden Popcorn Shrimp in 15 Minutes
Crunchy, crispy popcorn shrimp is great as an appetizer or as a main course, and as a bonus for all you busy folks, this awesome recipe only takes 15 minutes from start to finish! You can accompany it with anything from a tangy tomato cocktail sauce to a spicy Sriracha-mayo blend - and of course it's tasty all on its own too.
"Photo by Rob Huang"
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 tsp salt-free Creole seasoning*, divided
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 3/4 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 lbs peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 3 tbsp olive oil, divided
*To make your own Creole seasoning, combine 2 parts each of paprika and garlic powder, and 1 parts each of black pepper, onion powder, cayenne, dried oregano, and dried thyme.
- Combine the flour, 1 teaspoon of the Creole seasoning, and salt in a shallow dish.
- Pour milk into another shallow dish.
- Take a third shallow dish, and pour in the breadcrumbs.
- Coat shrimp in flour mixture. Then, dip in milk. Finally, dredge shrimp in breadcrumbs and shake off the excess breading.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add half of shrimp and cook 2 minutes on each side or until done. Repeat with the remaining oil and shrimp.
Photo Credits: Rob Huang