Homemade New York Style Bagels
Once you try this awesome bagel recipe, you'll never go back to those dough rings you buy pre-packaged at the supermarket! (Well, you might, but in the back of your head, you'll always think these taste better). They do take a bit of time and patience to handle on your own, but it's a fun project for a weekend or one of those days you just feel like doing something by hand.
"Photo by Ezra Wolfe"
- 4 -5 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 package active dry yeast
- 1 1/2 cups hot water (120°-130°F)
- 1 egg white*
- 1 tbsp cold water*
*The egg white and cold water is used to give the final, baked bagels extra gloss. If making vegan/vegetarian, just omit it from the recipe.
- Making the Dough: In a large bowl, combine 1 1/2 cups flour, sugar, salt and undissolved yeast. Gradually add warm water to dry ingredients and beat until combined. Add another 1/2 cup of flour to the mixture and keep mixing. Add enough additional flour to to make a soft dough - probably about 2 to 2 1/2 cups more.
- Turn dough on to a lightly floured board and knead until smooth and elastic (about 10 minutes).
- Place dough in un-greased bowl, cover, and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes. The dough should rise a little bit.
- After the 20 minute are up, punch the dough down and turn out on to a lightly floured board.
- Shaping the Bagels: Roll dough into a rectangle, about 12 x 10 inches, then cut dough into equal sized strips, about 1 x 10 inches each. Pinch ends of strips together to form a circle and place your bagels on un-greased baking sheets.
- Cover and let rise in warm, draft free place for 20 minutes.
- Boiling the Bagels: In a large shallow pan, boil a 1 3/4 inch depth of water. Lower the heat, and add a few bagels at a time to cook. Simmer them for 3 1/2 minutes on each side. Remove bagels from water and place on a towel to cool.
- Cool bagels for 5 minutes, then place them on ungreased baking sheets.
- Baking the Bagels: Preheat your oven to 375°F. Once your oven is ready, pop your boiled bagels in and cook them at 375°F for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat an egg white with cold water. Remove bagels from oven, brush them with egg white mixture, and return bagels to oven to bake for about 20 more minutes (or until they're golden brown).
- Cool your bagels on a wire rack, and enjoy!
Enjoy your Yummly homemade bagels with your favorite spreads and toppings!
Related Searches on Yummly: