Tried and True Tips for Cooking the Perfect Burger
Who wouldn't love to take a big bite out of a juicy, homemade burger on a lightly buttered hamburger bun? A perfect, char-grilled patty with just a touch of salt and pepper and a crispy side of sweet potato fries makes a truly great meal for any day of the week. Top it with fresh lettuce and tomatoes or grilled mushrooms and onions, and you're bound for a bite full of savory deliciousness! If you want to make perfectly juicy burgers at home, here are a few tips to live by.
- Check the leanness of your meat! 20-25% fat content is usually the best for burgers.
- The patty should weigh 6-7 ounces and be about 1-inch thick in the center.
- You should only flip your burger once and cook it for about 3 minutes on each side.
- Don't press down on the patty while it's cooking! You want the burger to be as juicy as possible.
- Before you're ready to work with your ground meat, keep it cold - otherwise the fat quality might change.
- Don't over-handle your patties, because that will toughen the meat.
- If you're melting cheese on top of your patty, grill it 3/4th of the way on one side, flip the burger, and put the cheese on then.
- Let the burgers sit for a few minutes after they've been cooked to let the juices settle throughout the meat!
Seasonings and Toppings
Burger purists will say that the only seasonings you need in the patty itself is a little rock salt and pepper, but if you're interested in other kinds of burgers, feel free to experiment. Whether you add the ingredients like onions and mushrooms into the burger itself (making it something of a grilled meatloaf) or grill/saute them separately and enjoy them on top, you'll still end up with a fantastic meal!
Here are a few Yummly recipes to try out!
Related Searches on Yummly:
Photo Credits: Daily Mail UK, Epicurious