"Rainbow Cakes from Off the (Meat)Hook"
Jars allow for a very pretty, individually-portioned way of serving up cake. It's an awesome dessert that's sure to please folks at home, and it makes a great gift too! If you use a jar with an air-tight seal, you can even pack it up to send to far away friends and family. All you need to do is pick out a Yummly cake recipe, grab a few clean canning jars, and let your creativity flow!
- Pick a tasty cake recipe! How about this moist yellow cake? Or carrot cake!
- Gather your materials. You'll need at least 6 8-ounce jars for as much batter as a basic 2-layer cake.
- Preheat your oven to the temperature specified in your recipe and put together your cake batter as written.
- Grease the inside of your jars thoroughly and arrange them on pan with sides or a baking sheet.
- Carefully scoop about 1-cup of batter into each jar. Wipe out any batter that clings to the sides.
- Pop your cakes into the oven! Keep in mind that these cakes will bake up faster than what's specified in the original recipe - check on them at least 15 minutes earlier than specified. Once they're done, pull them out of the oven.
- While the jars are still hot, screw the caps on. This will create an air-tight seal!
... and you're done! Refrigerate the jars until you're ready to eat them (or until you're ready to send them away).
Tips and Tricks
- If you want to make a rainbow cake or zebra cake, separate your batter into different bowls and add food coloring to make the batters the colors you want. Then, scoop 2 tablespoons of each color into the jars until you reach the 1 cup mark!
- Using the same methodology, you can also play with 2 separate cake batters (for example, a chocolate cake and a vanilla cake).
- If you want your frosting to be designed in a particular way, it's best to add it just before you intend on serving the cake. Otherwise, you'll have to put it on while the cakes are still hot (so that the jar can be sealed properly), which means your frosting will be a bit melted.
Photo Credits: Off the (Meat)Hook