It's the Seattle Seahawks vs. the Denver Broncos this year in Super Bowl 48! In honor of the event, here are a few fun food facts you might not have known about this year's big game.
Football Cheese Ball from Leite's Culinaria
- It's estimated that over 1.23 billion chicken wings will be consumed on game day this year! If the average chicken wing is 3 inches long, people will consume enough wings that if the wings were put end to end, it could wrap around the earth's equator twice.
- About 57% of the chicken wings consumed on game day will be dipped in ranch dressing! (Blue cheese dressing comes in second).
- The most common Super Bowl snacks by far will be chips & dip, chicken wings, and take-out pizza!
- Denver vs. Seattle: Denver's Mayor, Michael Hancock, is wagering a sample of Denver's famous Green Chili, while Seattle Mayor, Ed Murray, is putting salmon and Dungeness crab on the table! Who's going to ante up this year?
- Roughly 48 million households will be enjoying delivery pizza on Super Bowl Sunday. (It is often the busiest pizza delivery day of the year!)
- Antacid purchases are estimated to increase by 20% the day after the big game!
- 11 million pounds of potato chips will be eaten on the big day, which is a little more than the amount of eaten pretzels (4 mil), nuts (2.5 mil), and popcorn (3.8 mil) combined.
- Many of the snacks will be paired with copious amounts of beer! It's expected that almost 52 million cases of beer will be bought and consumed on game day.
- Super Bowl Sunday is actually the second biggest day of food consumption in the US, only beat by Thanksgiving.
- 2014 marks the 50th anniversary of the Buffalo Wing! Enjoy them this year in celebration of their half-century existence.
Try making your own hot buffalo-style wings!
Or try some Green Chili of your own, in honor of Denver.
Green Pork Chili
Or make some Smoked Salmon appetizers to represent Seattle!
Smoked Salmon Bruschetta from My Baking Addiction