You’ve all had dry cake. You know the kind. It’s the one that would taste like saw dust and construction paper if it wasn’t disguised with sugary frosting – the one that’s definitely not good enough for the occasion it’s supposed to celebrate! If you want to make glorious, super moist, good-without-the-frosting cake from scratch, you need these tried and true cake making tips in your life.
- Sifting the dry ingredients prior to mixing in the liquid ingredients is always a good idea. This will help you avoid clumps and give the cake a finer grain.
- Toss in your extras like berries or nuts last to avoid color bleeding.
- Lining your cake pans with parchment that is lightly greased and floured facilitates the removal process later.
- Don’t use butter that’s too warm. “Room-temperature” butter should be just that – about 70 degrees Fahrenheit. If the butter is warmer than that, it will usually melt too quickly into the mixture and negatively change the overall texture.
- Position your pans in the center of your oven so that they get the most even heat around. They should not touch any sides of the oven.
- Test your cakes for done-ness at least 5 minutes before the suggested time to avoid over-baking.
- Let your cake cool until you can touch the pan without hurting yourself (usually 8-10 minutes).
- Turn the cake out onto a wire rack, bottom side up.
- If you’re eating the cake soon/the very same day, let the cake cool completely and trim the top before frosting.
- If you’re not eating the cake the very same day, immediately transfer it to a cake board and trim the cake’s top if you want to frost it evenly later. Wrap the cake with a layer of plastic wrap, then a layer of aluminum foil while it’s still hot and put it in the freezer. The water created by the cake’s residual heat will keep it moist (but not too moist) in the freezer. Let the cake thaw in the refrigerator slowly overnight the day before you want to frost it.
For more great tips and tricks to baking cakes, check out “5 Ways to Ruin Homemade Cupcakes.”
Related Searches on Yummly:
- Jamaican rum cake
- Black forest cake
- Red velvet cake
- Strawberry cream layer cake
- Chocolate layer cake
Photo Credits: Tenda-Bake