Plenty of folks want to make fully homemade food all the time, but some days that just takes too much time and effort. Before you run off to the store to buy a quick cake mix, how about trying to put together your own first? You need just a few basic dry ingredients (that you probably have on hand already) and 10 minutes! The end result will still be homemade, and without any of those extra chemicals added in too!
The Basic Ingredients
Cake mix (or brownie mix, or chocolate cake mix) is essentially just the dry ingredients of a cake mixed together beforehand and stored in a jar. All you need to add afterward is the wet ingredients – butter, oil, eggs, et cetera – and whatever extras you feel like!
For a basic vanilla or chocolate cake, you’ll need these ingredients:
- 2 cups of all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of cocoa powder (for chocolate cakes only)
Store it in an airtight container and it should last for about 6 months! Once you’re ready to make the cake, you’ll need to mix in:
- 3/4 cups of milk
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- 1/2 cup of butter
- 3 eggs
Tips and Tricks
- To make things easier for yourself, hang a note around the outside of the jar with instructions on what wet ingredients you’ll need to make the cake and what temperature to bake it at!
- You can use this basic strategy for all kinds of cake or brownie recipes! Just find one you like on Yummly, sift together the dry ingredients (by ben at dhead), and save it for a rainy day.
- When you’re ready to use the cake mix, sifting the ingredients again will likely result in a better cake.
- If you want to give away cake and brownie mixes as presents, adding chocolate chips or walnuts to the jar can make it extra cute.