This recipe is contributed by Hannah, author of the blog NR11: English Kitchen Baking!
“Never put anything on paper, my boy, and never trust a man with a small black mustache,” says Lord Ickenham in PG Wodehouse’s 1958 novel, Cocktail Time.
Everyone loves a mustache, and for those of us who can’t grow our own, an edible, decorated top lip is the next best thing. I came up with these cupcakes in a fierce winter in North Norfolk when it was too freezing to do anything but bake. It provides one of those individual pleasures, eaten whilst wrapped up in a blanket and reading a book, sticky-fingered. They work equally well presented in a neat little box to a sophisticated mustachioed friend to make them smile.
Never Trust a Man with a Mustache Cupcakes
Makes 10 cupcakes
- 1/2 cup (100g) butter
- 2/3 cup (150g) superfine sugar (golden caster sugar)
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup (150g) all-purpose flour, sifted*
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder*
- 1/4 tsp salt*
- 2 tbsp milk
- 1 tbsp water
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract (or vanilla paste)
- Grated zest of 1 lemon
*If using self-rising flour, exclude the baking powder and salt.
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 cup (200g) confectioner’s sugar (icing sugar)
- Edible rice paper
- Food marker pen
- Preheat the oven to 360° F (180°C). Prepare a baking tray with 10 cupcake cases.
- In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Gradually mix in the eggs, one at a time.
- Add the flour, milk, water, vanilla and lemon zest, and continue mixing until smooth.
- Divide the mixture evenly between the cupcake cases.
- Bake in the oven for 25 minutes and remove when golden.
- Leave to cool on a wire rack, before decorating.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a bowl. In a small saucepan, warm the lemon juice over a low heat. Gradually add the juice to the sugar and mix until thick and glossy. Spread the icing over the tops of the cupcakes with a palette knife.
- To decorate, use a food marker pen to draw 10 moustaches onto edible rice paper. Cut out the moustaches and place one on top of each cupcake.
For more unique baked treats, follow @NR11blog on Twitter!